Saturday 24 November 2012

Southampton Five Parks.



Walking through the centre of Southampton on a cold afternoon last week, I discovered Palmerston Park and made a detour to take a look.  There were statues, trees, autumn crocuses, heathers, hydrangeas, a bandstand, people walking, people sitting on benches, more trees, avenues of trees, and acres of green as far as the eye could see.  It was lovely, and the afternoon sun beautifully picked out the autumn colours.  I didn't have my camera with me, but I snatched a few shots with my cell phone and happily went on my way, determined to find out more.

It turns out that there are five Grade II listed historic and linking parks in Southampton city centre (Hoglands Park, Houndwell Park, Palmerston Park, Andrews (East) Park and Watts (West) Park); I'd actually walked through two of them (Palmerston and Houndwell) and could see a third and fourth in the distance (Andrews and Hoglands).  This was all too much for me, on paper, so a few days later I went back to Southampton with my camera and walked all five parks.  No afternoon sun this time, but some nice photos, a head full of history, a heart full of happiness and a healthy glow to my cheeks!

The pictures above show the Gas Column, and inscription, flanked by lime trees in Houndwell Park, Southampton, Hampshire, at 15:28 on Wednesday 14th November 2012.

To see more of my Southampton Five Parks photos, click on the link below:-

To read about the five Southampton Parks, click on the link below:-

No comments:

Post a Comment